- Boyfriends and girlfriends respect partner’s desires to socialize with friends of any gender.
- Partners respect differences of opinion.
- Texts, calls, and social media interactions are opportunities to laugh and get to know each other.
- How partners communicate is based on respect and caring.
- The boundaries of each partner are respected by the other.
- Partner requires the other to check with them before making plans with friends.
- Partner discourages the other from spending time with friends.
- Partner is jealous of time spent with friends or family.
- Partner makes all the decisions about social activities.
- Partner uses shame or guilt to get their way.
- Any physical act used to control or scare the other partner.
- Preventing date from leaving a car, room, or are by physical means or threats.
- Demanding access to phone and social media accounts to monitor communications.
- Preventing partner from spending time with friends.
- Demanding sexual activity against the wished of the partner.
Know the Facts
- 1 out of 10 high school students has experienced physical violence in a relationship.
- 25% of high school girls have been victims of physical or sexual abuse or date rape.
- Only 1/3 told anyone about the abuse.