Safehouse Advocate-Part Time (6am-2:30pm Sat-Sun)
This is a part-time position with hours from 6am-2:30 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.
WEAVE’s mission is to promote safe and healthy relationships and support survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence and sex trafficking. WEAVE’s vision is a community free of violence and abuse.
Under the direct supervision of the Residential Services Manager, the Safehouse Advocate is primarily responsible for supporting WEAVE Safehouse clients, maintaining a safe and welcoming environment, conducting intake assessments of potential clients for the shelter, orienting new residents to the shelter facility and program, and providing trauma informed Strengths Model case management and/or 30-minute check-ins for assigned residential clients and their children during their stay in the shelter.
- Screen prospective residents, conduct intake and exit interviews
- Provide advocacy for clients.
- Provide Strengths Model case management or 30-minute check-ins to Safehouse and Openhouse residents to support clients in reaching their goals while they are in our program.
- Conduct initial assessments and support residents in the development and implementation of action plans based on their Personal Empowerment Plan.
- Ensure clients are being provided with internal referrals to WEAVE Services, including individual and/or group counseling, legal assistance, as well as services / resources in the community based on clients’ needs such as housing, social services such as Department of Human Assistance Services and Department of Rehabilitation Services, CalVCB, legal assistance, health services, pet supportive services, among others.
- Maintain high visibility and availability throughout shelter and initiate contact with residents and provide a welcoming and nonjudgmental environment.
- Provide emergency transportation, food, and clothing.
- Provide crisis intervention, advocacy, information, and referrals to individuals calling the agency’s 24-hour Support and Information Line when needed.
- Initiate and facilitate weekend programming for clients and their children.
- Assist in identifying and scheduling community partners to provide on-site services, groups, and activities for residential clients.
- Provide support and information to agency volunteers, as needed.
- Co-facilitate house meetings, support groups, and educational groups.
- Maintain accurate client records and statistics, ETO data entry in a timely manner.
- Maintain close communication with other shelter staff.
- Prepare welcome packets, intake folders, and replenish copies.
- Provide play-care as needed.
Facilities Support Services
- Maintain a professional and courteous manner with all management, staff, clients, vendors, building tenants and contractors.
- Maintain and follow safety policies and procedures by notifying supervisor of any potential hazards.
- Perform housekeeping tasks such as: laundry, stocking and restocking bathroom, kitchen, and office supplies. Maintain track of inventory such as: cleaning products and office supplies needed. Assist with organizing and sorting donations received for WEAVE and its clients. Execute tasks and cleaning projects related to cleaning, relocating items, and organizing spaces at WEAVE residential facility.
- Assist with preparing rooms for intakes and making welcome bags.
- Assist with Workshops and planned activities.
- Attend and participate in agency meetings, staff meetings and in-service training
- Complete WEAVE’s 69-hour Peer Counselor training and complete continuing education requirements to maintain certification.
- Develop positive working relationships with other local organizations and agencies
- Maintain accurate and timely timesheets
- Maintain a working knowledge of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Be familiar with legal, medical, housing, educational and social service agencies and resources in the community which may be of use to residents
- Other duties as assigned
ADA Job Characteristics:
Work environment is primarily in an emergency shelter/ 24-7 facility setting. Local travel (driving) is required to transport clients and attend off-site meetings. Lift and carry up to 25 pounds up to waist length, extend both arms above the head and/or reach below the waist, stoop, squat, crawl, bend the back to open lower-level filing drawers, or to retrieve stored items, climb on stools, steps and/or ladders to dust, sweep and/or mop to clean. Sit and/or stand frequently. Use fine manipulation (hands and wrist) to operate a keyboard, take notes, complete and file reports, file and copy documents. Corrected vision to normal range. Speak in normal vocal tone and range and communicate clearly and concisely to and with others. Apply normal reasoning and detail as required in the accomplishment of job duties.
- Combination of education and experience to successfully implement the job tasks and responsibilities. Related experience in providing domestic violence and residential services preferred.
- Crisis intervention, de-escalation, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Provide copy of valid California driver license, have reliable transportation, and submit current proof of vehicle insurance
- Residential facility operates 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Staff should have the ability to work, evenings, weekends and holidays, as needed according to their assigned schedule.
- Understand the impact of trauma on physical, emotional, and mental health as well as on behaviors and engagement in services.
- Believes in WEAVE’s mission by helping to create a safe environment for survivors and staff and establishing healthy relationships to support survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and sex trafficking.
The pay range for this position starts at $22.40 per hour.
WEAVE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
WEAVE makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals. All employment actions are based solely on an individual’s qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, religion, cancer-related medical condition, disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, ancestry citizenship, or marital status.
Click here to apply: https://secure.onehcm.com/ta/WEAVE.careers?ApplyToJob=486680395