Family Law Staff Attorney
Full-Time Exempt, Benefit Eligible
WEAVE’s mission is to promote safe and healthy relationships and support survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence and sex trafficking. WEAVE’s vision is a community free of violence and abuse.
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Chief Legal & Compliance Officer, the Family Law Staff Attorney [Attorney] provides consultations, pro per assistance, and direct representation in family law matters to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking and sex trafficking. Matters covered include domestic violence restraining orders, child custody, child and spousal support, property division and dissolution or legal separation of marriage or domestic partnerships. The Attorney may also assist victims of sexual assault with civil harassment restraining order applications and sex trafficking victims with vacatur petitions.
Essential Job Functions:
- Create and maintain empowering, professional relationships with all clients to foster an atmosphere of empathy, safety, and support; advocate for clients in a manner that honors their individual experiences and is consistent with the client’s wishes.
- Actively work to reduce barriers to services for all clients and provide services that are inclusive, welcoming, and culturally responsive regardless of a client’s actual or perceived characteristics. Approach all clients and cases in a trauma-informed manner.
- Provide consultations regarding domestic violence restraining orders, family law matters, civil harassment restraining orders, or vacatur petitions as needed.
- Consistent with department protocols and in collaboration with the Chief Legal & Compliance Officer, evaluate cases for further legal services such as pro per assistance or direct representation, based on established criteria.
- Ensure excellence in direct representation when offered, including preparing and filing court pleadings, attending hearings and trials, conducting discovery, communicating with opposing counsel or parties, and otherwise carrying out the duties and obligations of a litigation attorney.
- Engage in regular, timely, safe communication with clients to respond to questions or provide updates on the status of their case.
- Collaborate with other WEAVE staff members to facilitate clients receiving comprehensive victim advocacy.
- Review requirements and objectives for any grant utilized to fund the position; routinely communicate with Chief Legal & Compliance officer about grant activities and assist with reporting requirements as needed.
- Maintain timely, accurate records of contacts with clients in WEAVE’s data tracking tool, Efforts to Outcomes.
- Maintain membership in good standing with the California State Bar, including timely completing all continuing education requirements.
- Complete required Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Crisis Intervention peer counselor training and required ongoing training to maintain status as sexual assault and domestic violence victim counselor (Post-hire requirement);
- Participate in appropriate trainings related to representing victims and survivors in family law matters.
- Ensure the confidentiality of all sexual assault and domestic violence victims is protected; utilize agency approved consent forms when coordinating services for individuals or families with other organizations.
- Actively participate with legal support staff to maintain accurate and complete client files and associated documentation.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
- Licensed attorney and member in good standing of the State Bar of California
- Prior experience in family law matters, particularly restraining orders, preferred.
- Ability to work with victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence and stalking, who are experiencing crisis.
- Ability to communicate legal terms and procedures to clients clearly and simply, including working with translators as needed.
- Ability to collaborate with other staff members, partner organizations and agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; positive interpersonal relationship skills.
- Proactive and self-motivated, with an understanding of how work fits into the larger department and agency goals.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), and online research required. Comfort in computer network environment.
- Adaptability and flexibility while working in a dynamic work environment.
- Acceptance and respect for diversity in all forms – including ethnic and cultural diversity, sexual orientation, gender identity, abilities, and religious affiliation. Ability to work collaboratively in an ethnically, linguistically, and culturally diverse environment.
- Complete WEAVE’s peer counselor training program (post-hiring requirement);
- Valid California Driver’s license, reliable transportation, and current proof of vehicle insurance
- Bilingual Spanish written and oral communication skills preferred, but not required.
The salary ranges for this position starts at $70,000/year.
ADA Job Characteristics:
WEAVE is committed to providing inclusive, accessible and respectful workplaces for all staff, including those with disabilities such as being in a wheelchair, Deaf or Hard of Hearing, blind or low vision or other access or functional needs.
WEAVE works to equip staff of all abilities with reasonable accommodations to perform their job functions. These can include the provision of adaptive equipment, materials in alternate formats, and flexible work schedules. Our priority is to provide ongoing, individualized accommodations to give all staff access to resources best suited to their needs. If you require an accommodation to access this job application, please send a request to email@example.com
Work environment is primarily a busy office setting in a two-story building with stairs and an elevator. Local travel (driving) may be required regularly. May need to lift and carry up to 25 lbs., extend both arms above the head and/or reach below the waist, stoop, squat, crawl, bend the back to retrieve items, climb stairs, or use an elevator. Employee may also need to remain in one position (i.e. sitting or standing) for an extended period of time while completing work tasks. Must be able to efficiently operate a keyboard and mouse or adaptive equivalent, write reports, take notes; utilize desk tools such as phones or calculators, and utilize larger office equipment such as printers and copy machines. Communicate clearly and concisely to others. Apply above average reasoning and detail as required in the accomplishment of job duties.
Click here to apply: https://secure.onehcm.com/ta/WEAVE.careers?ApplyToJob=469916884