Advocate – YDF
Full-Time Non-Exempt, Benefit Eligible
WEAVE’s mission is to promote safe and healthy relationships and support survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, and sex trafficking. WEAVE’s vision is a community free of violence and abuse.
Position Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Community Response Manager and the Director of Community Response, the Advocate will facilitate educational groups and provides supportive services to victims of sexual assault at Sacramento County’s Youth Detention Facility (YDF) and Sacramento County’s main jail. The Advocate must hold firm boundaries, be organized, have the skills to facilitate interactive groups, and hold space for unbiased conversation with clients in an incarcerated environment.
- Facilitate life-skills groups and provide supportive services to youth housed in YDF
- Facilitate peer support groups for inmates at the county jail
- Provide written responses to inmate letters
- Provide crisis intervention, advocacy, emotional support, education, and referrals to incarcerated victims as needed
- Provide individual peer support when requested
- Facilitate life-skills groups in the community when appropriate
- Provide follow-up and advocacy services to victims as assigned
- Accompany youth to court and Child and Family Team (CFT) appointments
- Confidently advocate for youth with individuals who work in positions of authority such as District Attorney, CPS, mental health teams, probation, etc.
- Partner with Youth Probation for post-release support
- Provide emotional support to incarcerated survivors of sexual assault during their forensic evidentiary exam, as needed.
- Support program responsibilities, including but not limited to building curriculum, keeping inventory supply list updated, supporting team members using YDF curriculum outside of the YDF program
- Communicate with WEAVE¢s Community Response Manager, as needed, for support and supervision
- Represent and fulfill WEAVE’s mission to promote safe and healthy relationships and support survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, and sex trafficking
- Attend various meetings (unit, Advocate, all staff, and in-service) as required
- Complete all necessary data entry, forms, case records, and statistical reports accurately and timely. Submit such documentation to the supervisor/manager within the designated timelines.
- Fulfill contract obligations and requirements
- Assist in the development of presentation/training curriculum when needed
- Attend and actively contribute to regular supervisory and team/unit meetings, internal training sessions, conferences, seminars, and independent study.
- Adhere to professional standards and initiate requests for assistance from Supervisor to address new issues or complex concepts.
- Other duties as assigned
- Combination of education and experience to successfully fulfill position requirements; lived experience appreciated.
- Experience with crisis intervention around domestic and sexual violence and sex trafficking preferred
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with representatives from community partners and social service agencies
- Willingness to adhere to Sacramento County policies which may include proof of vaccination
- Self-directed and self-motivated required
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and data entry
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Regular attendance
- Consistent demonstration of positive, cooperative, self-motivated, and professional behavior
- Work with individuals with different areas of expertise, backgrounds, knowledge, and skillsets
- Ability to be a team player and commit to working together to reach goals
- Complete WEAVE’s 69-hour training and certification program (post-hiring requirement)
- Provide a copy of a valid California driver’s license, have reliable transportation, and submit current proof of vehicle insurance
- Satisfactory results from DOJ background check and TB Test (post-employment offer requirement)
The salary range for this position starts at $22.44 per hour.
ADA Job Characteristics:
Work environment is primarily in an emergency shelter/ 24-7 facility setting. Local travel (driving) is required to transport clients and attend off-site meetings. Lift and carry up to 25 pounds up to waist length, extend both arms above the head and/or reach below the waist, stoop, squat, crawl, bend the back to open lower-level filing drawers, or to retrieve stored items, climb on stools, steps and/or ladders to dust, sweep and/or mop to clean. Sit and/or stand frequently. Use fine manipulation (hands and wrist) to operate a keyboard, take notes, complete and file reports, and file and copy documents. Corrected vision to normal range. Speak in normal vocal tone and range, and communicate clearly and concisely to and with others. Apply normal reasoning and detail as required in the accomplishment of job duties.
Click here to apply: https://secure.onehcm.com/ta/WEAVE.careers?ApplyToJob=486704194