Advocate – Violence Response Team (VRT)
Full-Time Non-Exempt, Benefit Eligible
WEAVE’s mission is to promote safe and healthy relationships and support survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, and sex trafficking. WEAVE’s vision is a community free of violence and abuse.
Position Summary: The Violence Response Team (VRT) Advocate provides emotional support, advocacy, and intervention services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking in the City of Elk Grove. Supportive services include but are not limited to strengths-based case management, accompaniment, and trauma-informed advocacy services to victims identified by the Elk Grove Police Department and WEAVE.
This position is embedded in the Elk Grove Police Department. To succeed in this position, the Advocate must be comfortable working with high-ranking authorities and detectives, responding on-scene, riding with patrol officers, and holding space for unbiased conversations with clients and our law enforcement partners.
Direct Client Services
- Assess the client’s situation and needs to determine if WEAVE services are appropriate
- Provide information about the dynamics of domestic violence
- Provide sexual assault and domestic violence resources
- Provide crisis intervention and emotional support
- Accompany clients to law enforcement interactions such as interviews, follow-ups, pre-text, etc.
- Liaison between law enforcement and client when appropriate
- Follow-up with all victims referred by Elk Grove Police Department personnel
- May accompany an officer on scene and respond to domestic violence emergency and non-emergency calls when safe and secured
- Provide advocacy, assessment, and case management services to individuals or families
- Assist the victim with obtaining a restraining order when appropriate
- Utilize a Strengths Model case management approach to assist clients in obtaining self-identified goals, strengths, and strategies to overcome barriers
- Advocate on behalf of clients with outside agencies (housing, medical, social services, etc.)
- Connect clients to appropriate WEAVE services and provide a warm introduction
- Provide criminal and civil court accompaniment when possible
- Train sworn and civilian Elk Grove Police Department staff on the dynamics of domestic violence, sexual assault, and sex trafficking
- Foster problem-solving, conflict resolution, and non-violent interactive skills
- Advocate will primarily be embedded at the Elk Grove Police Department
- Must be able to advise and work cooperatively with coworkers, partners, and service providers
- Must be comfortable working in a law enforcement environment
- Support the City of Elk Grove by bringing awareness to WEAVE services and the accessibility of the police department by tabling events and facilitating peer support groups within the community
- Attend and participate in agency meetings, staff meetings, and in-service training.
- Complete WEAVE’s 69-hour training and keep current with continuing education.
- Represent and fulfill WEAVE’s mission to promote safe and healthy relationships and support survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, and sex trafficking.
- Develop positive working relationships with other local organizations and agencies.
- Maintain accurate and timely timesheets.
- Respond to emails, phone calls, and text messages promptly
- Regular Attendance
- Other duties as assigned
- Combination of education and experience to successfully fulfill the position.
- Maintain a working knowledge of effective prevention and intervention strategies to address domestic violence, sexual assault, and sex trafficking.
- Experience working with DV/SA victims
- Crisis intervention, problem-solving, and conflict-resolution skills
- Experience working directly with law enforcement preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Regular attendance
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Maintain effective and timely communication and coordination with WEAVE Supervisor
- Complete WEAVE’s 69-hour training and certification program (post-hiring requirement)
- Provide a copy of a valid California driver’s license, have reliable transportation, and submit current proof of vehicle insurance
- Satisfactory results from DOJ background check and TB Test (post-employment offer requirement)
ADA Job Characteristics:
The work environment is primarily in an office setting. Local travel (driving) may be required to attend off-site meetings or deposits. Must be able to lift and carry 25 lbs., extend both arms above the head and/or reach below the waist, stoop, squat, crawl, bend the back to open lower-level filing drawers, or retrieve items, climb a ladder or stairs, or use an elevator. Must be able to sit frequently and/or stand when filing, using a copier, etc., and use fine manipulation (hands and wrist) to operate a keyboard, take notes, utilize a desk calculator, file, and copy documents. Need corrected vision to normal range frequently for reading the monitor and hard copy documents. Speak in a normal vocal tone and range and communicate clearly and concisely to others. Apply above-average reasoning and detail as required in accomplishing job duties.
The pay range for this position starts at $22.44 per hour.
Click here to apply: https://secure.onehcm.com/ta/WEAVE.careers?ApplyToJob=486724102